Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thank-you, come again!

It's only fitting that I blog about my first Rogers Wireless customer service experience from my new HTC Magic phone. Which I love by the way. I love it so much, I told my mother that we weren't going to bother with kids, since we already have cats and a couple really sweet handsets. She seemed strangely OK with that...

Anyway, as I was saying, I had to call Rogers customer service because they had Sean listed as the owner of my phone. This meant, whenever I called somebody, they'd check their call display and think Sean was calling. It may not sound like a big deal, but try explaining you're not Sean 20 times a day and you get the picture.

Well Rogers has one of those high tech help lines where you have to talk to a fake person for the first few minutes before they let you talk to a real person. The dialogue sounded something like this:

Rogers: Welcome, how can I help you? Me: I need customer service. R: Did you say 'Find nearest location?' Me: No, customer service. R: Did you say 'Buy a new handset?' Me: NO! Give me Customer Service you    F*%$ing moron! R: OK, transfering you now. Have a good day!

Only you're not destined to have a good day. You're not even going to be transfered to Customer Service. It took me 3 calls and a good number of yelled swear words to realise that when the Rogers Droid transfered me, I didn't go anywhere. I would sit and listen to the same 3 ads being played over and over and over, and I would wait. And wait. And wait.

It seemed that the imaginary Rogers droid put me in 'The Angry Tank'. This is similar to a Drunk Tank, but for very angry people.

To test my theory, I resolved to call back one last time. This time, there would be no yelling, swearing or name calling. I also used my sweetest, calmest, most placating telephone voice.

This time, our conversation went a little like this; R: How can I help you? Me: I would like to speak with customer service please. R: Did you say 'customer service'? Me: Why yes I did, thank-you! R: I'll connect you right away. Thank-you for choosing Rogers.

And Lo and behold, I was connected directly to a very friendly chap in Bangalore, India who fixed my little phone problem.

Just goes to show, a little courtesy goes a long way.

No comments: